Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Little Game of Did You Know

Kringles Clementine Mae... did you know that this precious pup had such a long name? Well, it might help if you knew the story about how Miss Mae joined my family. While visiting the local coffee house, a precious 7-year-old-gal named Clementine sat on a bench outside on a hot summer day. And, of course she was holding an adorable white, frail angel. (This doesn't happen often. Actually, I've yet to see another darling child hold a darling dog around our quaint town.) A precious child and pup = too much for this sucker to resist. So, of course, I stopped to talk.. and low and behold, Clementine was "foster parenting" this precious pup. Her goal was to find Kringles (the dog's name given by the pound) a home before she went back to 2nd grade. Cue the fairy tale, love-at-first-sight music. Within a week, Kringles lived with me - yes, me.. the girl who's never owned a dog, who really knows nothing about dogs. (Frankly, I was the girl who made fun of folks with dogs, thought they were obsessive and clueless for allowing an animal with four legs to dictate their schedule and life.)

The name Kringles just didn't fit. This dog is way too cute to be a Kringles. Insert name of 7-year-old-foster parent, Clementine. This name stuck for about a day, but after Clementine's play date with her namesake, this name didn't fit, either. Clementine, the girl, was wild and boisterous. Clementine, the dog, was calm and endearing.


Clementine is quite a mouthful to yell at a dog when she's making a yellow or brown memory on the rug or floor. Mae. A perfect, one-syllable, dainty dog's name. My great-grandmother was Lillie Mae, and I just liked the ring of it.

 *Told you she was frail. A mere 5 pounds when I claimed her. We will talk about her current weight later.

Just a little background about the dog that never ceases to amaze me. Now you know why I think she's special. People say I saved her.. but really, she saved me, too. (Saved me metaphorically, not saved me financially. That's a whole 'nother post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment